Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Comic Cover of the Week

Happy New Comic Day! With another week comes another set of interesting books to look forward to. From IDW Publishing comes G.I. Joe #1 written by Fred Van Lente, drawn Steve Kurth, colored by Joana Lafuente and lettered by Neil Uyetake. The Joe brand sees another relaunch as the world at large now knows of the G.I. Joe team. Over at Image Comics, Spawn #228 starts the next chapter in the life of Jim Downing as he's discovered many of the answers he sought. This comes to you from the minds of writer Todd McFarlane and artist Szymon Kudranski.

Another book I'll be picking up is Captain Marvel #10. And it just so happens to have my favorite cover art for the week. Credit for this emotional piece goes to Joe Quinones.

I rarely look at previews for books I know I'm going to read. My reason for stating that is all I know about this book deals with Carol being "grounded." That leads to why I like this cover. That one word and the cover art, which can actually stand on its own, carries some weight. You can see from the look on her face that something heavy is going on in her head. It's the way she's standing there looking up at the sky. The title done to look like a constellation is a nice touch. The fighter jets in the background don't hurt either. I've been a longtime fan of them. On a final note: her new costume is slowly growing on me.

I still recommend Captain Marvel. Even though there have been several artists in these first 10 issues, Kelly Sue Deconnick's writing has been consistently good. Check it out. You won't be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment