Saturday, November 24, 2012

Indestructible Hulk #1 Review

This was a big week of comics for me. I brought home 21 new comic books, including this last-minute addition. This just might be the most books I've had at once. It makes for some good holiday reading.

I'll preface this review by telling you I've never been much of a Hulk fan. Before this issue, I can count the number of Hulk books I own and I'd still have extra fingers. With that said, you might be asking yourself why pick up Indestructible Hulk#1? And that's a great question. I'll answer that question will another question: what's in a name? Well in this case, the names attached bring with them a history of quality work. I've enjoyed writer Mark Waid and artist Leinil Francis Yu's work for sometime. I try out new books all the time and I will certainly take note if either of their names are on a project. Joining them are colorist Sunny Gho and letterer Chris Eliopoulos.

The relaunched Hulk book features Bruce Banner attempting to make peace with the Hulk. It's cool because he realizes he Waid utilizes some interesting aspects to present the story which begins the character's path as an agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. With my limited knowledge of Hulk history, I don't know how the elements in this book have been used before. One of those elements is Banner acknowledging his place among the other super-scientists in the Marvel Universe. This is different because I can't recall him ever trying to apply his skills to the world.

Leinil Francis Yu brings a style that's somewhat gritty and very expressive. Sunny Gho's colors give Yu's pencils a darker and flatter look which serves the story well. My only real problems are a couple panels where I lost track of what was happening. Beyond that, the art team provides some quality visuals.

I'm curious to see what the creative team does with Banner and Hulk on his new journey. So I'll be sticking around for a few issues. I think Hulk fans will like this series. Opening a new chapter in Banner's life will appeal to new readers as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment