Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Book of the Week

It was a big week in comics. Surprised? Of course you aren't. I picked up a good amount of books and it was good reading all around for the most part. The books that found a home my collection were Avengers #31, Avenging Spider-Man #13, AvX: Consequences #1, Invincible Iron Man #526, Scarlet Spider #10, Secret Avengers #32, Uncanny Avengers #1, Wolverine and the X-Men #18, X-Men #37, Batman #13, Green Lantern Corps #13 and G.I. Joe #18.

The comic book reading world seems to have reached a consensus and I have to agree. Batman #13 is a damn good read. Easily recommendable. Everything about the book lives up to the hype. The return of Joker is certainly better than expected and it's all unexpected. This may be my favorite Scott Snyder Bat-book. The back-up feature co-written by James Tynion IV just adds to the value of the book by showing the set-up of an event occurring later in the book. And the ending? I didn't think I'd ever see that. This is going to be BIG. You can believe the good reviews are spreading and more people will be looking for this issue as well as the next.

But this isn't all about Snyder's writing. The artists are on point again. Greg Capullo, Fco Plascencia and Jonathan Glapion turn out another good looking issue. Capullo's storytelling can stand on its own if necessary. Not only did this book get my vote for best read, it also got my cover of the week for the art team's very slick cover. Jock, who's certainly no stranger to the Bat-universe, joins co-writers Snyder and Tynion as artist for the back-up.

If you've been curious about Batman, this is definitely the time to jump on. This is also the beginning of a huge crossover spanning multiple books, Death of the Family. I'm pretty sure you'll want to be around for everything that transpires.

What did my fellow readers think of Batman #13? I have yet to come across any comments from anyone displeased with this issue. Any comments always welcome. Thanks for looking.

No comments:

Post a Comment