Friday, July 13, 2012

SDCC 2012 - Thursday Highlights

It's Friday people and that means the first official day of San Diego Comic-Con has wrapped up. I was unable to catch a lot of news real-time, but I've done some catching up. As I started Wednesday, I'll be posting some of the panels lined up that are sure to pique your interest. As this is going up late, I should say that these panels are ones that would have received some attention...yesterday.

Censorship and the Female Artist examined how the topic affects women in pop culture and the creative industry. AdaPia d'Errico moderated the panel which featured Anina Bennett, Camilla d'Errico, and Olivia. This panel caught my attention for several reasons. One being the focus on female creators and another being how they're affected by censorship.

This year sees the 25th birthday of the Street Fighter franchise. For the Street Fighter 25th Anniversary Celebration, producer Tomoaki Ayano and executive producer Yoshinori Ono shared their plans (and prizes) with some lucky fans. I've been a fan of Street Fighter since I was a kid and I would definitely have been there to see this.

Dark Horse Comics publisher Mike Richardson and some of the talent with the company presented Dark Horse: Powered by Creators-An In-Depth Look at the Best in Creator-Owned Comics. DH has been home to some great creator owned works and is probably the king of the supernatural realm. I wonder what announcements came out of this panel.

I Can't Write, I Can't Draw, But I Love Comics! unites several players behind the scenes in various creative industries. If you don't possess the creative ability, there are still various methods of becoming a part of your favorite mediums.

The Future of Superhero Studies is one that definitely has my name on it. Ben Saunders and Charlie Hatfield discussed where this field came from and where it's headed. The superhero lover in me would have found it hard to miss this one.

Spotlight on Mike Carey showcased the very talented writer of X-Men Legacy and Unwritten fame. He was interviewed by editor Shelley Bond. I'm a fan of his work and would have attended this panel to hear what he had to say.

That's Thursday ladies and gentlemen. There was quite a bit on deck for this first full day and this was only a taste of that. If you made it to San Diego and hit up any of these panels, I'd like to hear your thoughts. Come back later as we tackle Friday of San Diego Comic-Con 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment