Thursday, May 3, 2012

Thursday Thoughts - Avengers and Free Comic Book Day Edition

Hello my fellow comic fans. We have a big weekend ahead of us. The Avengers and Free Comic Book Day are hitting the same weekend. All types of geeky madness will follow. I was actually trying to avoid part of the theme being Avengers related just because so many other sites have been doing it. But then again, this is a big weekend. I can't just not do it. So this special edition of Thursday Thoughts will follow a theme featuring both of those events. Ok, so technically, it's mostly FCBD topics. But that and Avengers are both represented, so they share the glory for the day.

1. Avengers Assemble! I had to do it. So from the movie line-up, my favorite character is a tie between Captain America and Thor. I'm honestly torn here. I have a ton of love for both, but I've read and own way more Thor books. You wouldn't make me choose, now would you? I didn't think so.

2. And of course I must finish with something related to the annual celebration that is Free Comic Book Day. How could I not? That would be a comic crime. So the books I'm most looking forward to are Avengers: Age of Ultron, Mega Man, and Valiant Preview. I wanted the Witchblade book at first, but it appears to only be a reprint of Seeley's first issue. I've been reading Witchblade for years, so I already have that book. That makes me kind of sad now. I was hoping it was an all new story. Oh well.

3. Take the special person in your life. Take a friend. Take a group of friends. Bring the family. There is sure to be something there for every taste. You might have just brought another fan, or two or three, into the fold. I've asked friends to join me several times. Sometimes they come, sometimes they don't. I may be going this one alone though. All of this applies to both Avengers and FCBD. Are you and yours due for some family fun? Here's a solid weekend that is perfect for everyone.

4. Ok, so we all enjoy FCBD. There's no denying that. We get some cool books from our shops for free. And free stuff is good. But let's remember, our shops are paying for those books. So you should support your shop and hit the shelves. Some shops even have sales for the special day to encourage people to check out other books. I always pick up free books, grab the books from my box and hit the shelves for other stuff as well. There has to be a two-way support system going. It's good for fans, retailers, publishers, and the industry as a whole.

5. There is seriously something wrong if comic shops aren't flooded this weekend. Avengers is going to be huge. FCBD is the next day. THE NEXT DAY! You can't really top that for comic weekends. The only competition is the release of a comic book movie during a convention weekend. There should be families storming comic shops checking out the goods. We always hope that comic book flicks will spark people's interest enough to go to their local shops and start reading. I think it works...to a degree. I don't think readership will make an amazing jump, but I think the movies can help. That especially goes for Avengers.

I wasn't planning on having a theme this week, it just kind worked out liked this. It's not my fault though. The internet made me do it. I swear to any Asgardian god. I'm ready for the weekend. Are you? I think I have all the books I want picked out. What books are you looking at? I'll be back Saturday afternoon before or after I see Avengers to post my FCBD haul. Keep it comic cool my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment