Thursday, April 26, 2012

Thursday Thoughts

Hello all. Yes, that includes you. It's a beautiful day and I have not been productive as I planned, but I've been reading comics all day. That counts for something, doesn't it? Glad you all agree. I've been catching up after falling a bit behind because of school. I'm right there with AvX and I do like the beginning of this.

1. This first one deals with fans disrespecting creators based solely on their style. This is mostly geared towards the artists in the industry. This isn't saying I like everything out there, because I really don't. But I'm the type that if I don't like a creator's work, I'll usually say "I don't like her or his work." Just in case people get confused, this occurs in conversations with other fans or online. I would never say something like that to a creator at a convention. I don't see the point. If I don't like an artist's style, there's no need for me to take time to point it out to a creator. I've heard the reports of people doing that Rob Liefeld. Now I will say that I'm not a fan of his, but I don't feel the need to go up to him and just disrespect him for it. That's just foolishness.


2. Superman isn't that cool. I know people think he's supposed to be the greatest superhero and all that. Even though I think it's Spider-Man, but you know, whatever. He just bores me sometimes. I have read several Superman stories, not all of them bad. I just don't think he's as great as everbody makes him out to be. And I know I'm not alone.


3. I like when cosplayers put a personal touch on their costumes. I don't feel that a costume should be judged on 100% accuracy. Who cares? Have fun with it. I know if I don't like a certain element of a character's costume, I'm likely to not use it. But I guess I'd only pick a character whose costume I really loved anyway. But then you might have a person who just wants to change something about a costume. I say go for it.


4. I stopped supporting Ethan Van Sciver after he posted some very racist imagery on facebook. Now while I was never a huge fan of him, his work was decent enough and I've talked to him on several occasions. He even bought dinner for myself and a friend at a Wizard World Chicago show a couple years back. There were several people at the table and we had a nice discussion about various topics in the industry. But sometime later he posted a picture with a caption, one I'd like to show, unfortunately it was lost along with several other images on my phone. Images which I have been unable to recover. From that point, I haven't touched a book with his name on it. I wanted to read the new Firestorm book, but since his name was on it, I just couldn't do it. I don't think he's on it anymore, so I could possibly change my mind. But I'd be lost in what's happened, so I might not even bother. Sometimes you can separate a person's work from their other stuff, but I couldn't do it here.


5. I didn't have much of an opinion of Captain America until his "death." That's not to say I didn't care for him, but I just hadn't read too many stories involving him. Once he died, I still remember that day, because it got spoiled for me by accident. But more on that in my upcoming Thursday Thoughts the Spoiled Edition.


I don't remember exactly, but I may have just been getting into more Avengers stuff. There was some overlap in there somewhere because I was feeling it a bit because of Civil War and perhaps briefly before. Video games helped too. I definitely remember letting him get plenty of action in Marvel Ultimate Alliance. So anyways, after he died and upon his miraculous comic book ressurection, I just felt this sudden appreciation of the character. I could feel what he meant to the Marvel landscape and loved his shield-slinging style.


I hope you enjoyed my thoughts for the week. Perhaps you can relate to some or all of them. Comments are appreciated. Thanks for looking my comic loving friends.

9 comments:

  1. I posted NO racist imagery, unless it was to point out that it was racist imagery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to say you failed in that regard. At the time, I let my fanboy side get the better of me and didn't attack it as I should have. That was a mistake on my part. If the image wouldn't have been lost, I would send it to you.

      Delete
  2. Instead, you just posted, without any evidence whatsoever, that I am a RACIST on the internet. I'm not a racist. Quite the contrary. You're either extremely sensitive and took something very much the wrong way, or you're just an asshole. This is infuriating.

    EVS

    ReplyDelete
  3. All images that I've posted on FB are in my photo section. Since I don't know what on earth you're referring to, I wouldn't have deleted it as you deleted yours...you're welcome to send a friend request for the sole purpose of digging it out and letting me know. Or even posting it. But allegations of racism are as disgusting and serious as rape, and I won't stand by and let someone say this about me.

    EVS

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's pretty disgusting to accuse some - anonymously - of being a racist.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Especially if you can't produce the picture or even, apparently, describe it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha, here is my fb profile because I knew someone was going to say something about anonymity. http://www.facebook.com/#!/geno.aka.dragon

    I always find it odd when people do something offensive and call those who find it as such, sensitive. And this happens quite a bit actually. Why would I have a problem with an image that was used to hurt my ancestors? Damn, I don't know. The oppressed individuals always appear to be the sensitive ones. Funny how that works.

    I never called him racist. I said he posted racist imagery. You made the jump. And as stated, I had the image, but it was lost and not by my doing. I'm actually hoping that I managed to save it in another source. I would never have posted it though, because posting it again would've only given it more power. I won't bother friending you again, but I'll describe it and you can go through your images.

    The picture depicted the "mammy" caricature or someone in blackface representing that. The caption read the same. These are powerful images. If either of you fellas are unaware of this, I suggest you google it.

    I found my status on facebook where I talked about it. It was April 15th, 2011. After seeing that date, I thought it was much older.

    My purpose with this post was to just post my thoughts. This is how I perceived what happened. I don't believe there was any educational purpose behind it. I am nothing if not fair. Do not for a second believe I wanted to throw your name out there just to start something. I am always open for discussing any matter. If the events aren't as I described, then I will update this.

    ReplyDelete