Thursday, April 19, 2012

Thursday Thoughts Post-C2E2 Edition

Here we are, several days removed from C2E2 and what a weekend it was. It was pure madness. The good madness of course though. I'm only slightly feeling that post-con depression. Only slightly because I have school assignments lined up. People are adjusting to "normal" life and others are doing that as well as fend off con crud. So as with the previous week's Convention Edition, here is my post-C2E2 Edition of Thursday Thoughts. So join me as I muse about this great weekend.

1. After cosplaying as Carnage this weekend, I've realized that you must be secure with yourself to wear a full-body spandex suit. I don't think I would have worn it otherwise. Now I can't say for sure, but I think if I was self-conscious about my appearance or just in general, there would have been no way in hell I would've worn that suit. It was kind of funny catching people glance at my crotch. If you're walking towards me, I'm looking at you. If you're eyes are down, I can pretty easily judge where your focus is. If it's on my crotch, I know it. I caught quite a few people. I never said anything, but it was funny.

2. I've known this for most of the time since I've been going to conventions, but it was quite apparent at C2E2. Con prices for toys are absurd. This goes for most toys in general, but right now I'm talking specifically the new Marvel Legends. I passed several dealers and noticed the figures I was missing. I stress "passed" because I didn't linger long. I saw figures for $30-$35-$45. I would never pay those prices for figures I just picked up at Wally World for $15. I don't know how eBay prices are, but if you don't have access to retailers carrying the line, you're in quite the dilemma. But they're not getting me. I am not the one.

3. I may have mentioned the lack of panels catching my interest. But there were still some that I planned to attend. How'd that work out? I didn't. Not at all. I never went to a single panel. I never even made a motion as if I was going to a panel room. I spent most of the weekend running in costume. I planned on hitting the Amazing Spider-Man and Avengers vs. X-Men panels for sure. Didn't happen. Oh hey, Valiant Comics has a panel too. Yeah, never saw that room either. I had them in my battleplan, but it just didn't work out. At least I had fun while I was missing them and not standing in line to get books signed.

4. Where the hell was the free swag? I didn't really see any free comics or posters. The Big-2 are usually good for this. They had a few things, but they definitely reduced what they gave away compared to years past. I hope this isn't the start of a trend. Free swag is a convention must. I guess that's how it goes sometimes. Oh well.

5. While cosplaying, I ran into a ton of families who wanted pictures. This is great because whole families were out for the weekend or for even just a day to take part in the fun. On Sunday, someone with his family wanted to take a picture with me in my Carnage costume. After that, we had a little chat about how he found out about the convention from a comic fan friend of his. Even though he wasn't a big comic guy, he said he and his family were still having fun. This was nice because as previously stated, it gets the family out to have fun together and also because it can possibly make comic fans out of young kids. Some fans for a different generation is never a bad thing.

So there are my brief reflections about the previous weekend. If you made the trek to the city, I hope you enjoyed. I and everyone else I was with sure did. And no, this is not the end of C2E2 content. There is definitely more to come. Keep it nerdy my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment